Saturday, May 23, 2009

I'm Just Orginizationally Challenged!

I'm not really a slob. Well, my beard does seem to occasionally catch a crumb or two, and it seems as though my moustache likes to wick up coffee now and then. My vehicles do tend to be filled to gills with objects that usable at a later date and some that might be better off in the trash can. But all that clutter can have a purpose. Like the time I got stopped on route 18 North near Coggeshall street.



My car wouldn't pass for it's inspection sticker. I got the car for free from the previous owner due to that fact. There was rot right through the rocker panels. A no-no that I hadn't gotten to fix. The inspection guy, who will remain nameless, told me I was better off to just scrape the old sticker off and take my chances. So I did.



Then I got to meet the aforementioned trooper. As I pulled onto Coggeshall street in front of Antonio's restaurant my mind raced for a valid excuse. As my eyes scanned the pile on the front floor I spied a hospital wrist band I had just barely been able to squeeze off the week before. I grabbed it and squeezed it back on. The trooper approached my car and stated that he had stopped me for not having an inspection sticker. I replied, "I know it's not a valid excuse, but I had to use the car to go to the hospital," and held up my wrist so he had a good view of my hospital band. In a few minutes he returned and gave me back my license and registration and muttered something about me having a lucky day.



Two weeks later on the same highway in nearly the same spot but headed south this time I was again stopped for the same reason. I didn't know if was the same trooper so I grabbed a form from Social Security Disability which showed I had an appointment for a an exam. This time I got a written warning. It wasn't the same cop but I'm sure my previous stop showed up on his cruiser's mobile computer.



Once, several years ago I got stopped by a notorious Fairhaven cop. He's been known to pull people out thought the car window, really. My car had trash up to the window of the back seat. Amazingly, this stop involved and invalid sticker, but my insurance had also been canceled. An arrestable offense. During my conversation with officer Lavallee, he stated he liked to see cars like mine, full of trash, that is. When I asked why he said, "Because I like to know that there's some one's car that is worse than mine." He ended up giving me a big break and I was allowed to go to work instead of the police station.



Now my room has gotten full, so to speak. I use the three pile system for laundry. One pile is clean, one is dirty and one 'not really sure'. While I was recently unable to walk due to an infection I asked my sister and her boyfriend to get my crutches so I could get off the couch and go to bed. She asked obviously overwhelmed, "Where are they?"



"Under the pile," I stated as though it was obvious. They saw a crutch bottom sticking out from under one of the piles and gave it a yank. The whole pile began and move as the pulled a little harder. With a sudden surge out came the crutch. Twisted up together came the crutch, a two piece fishing pole and a golf club. I saw them emerge from my room laughing so hard they had tears in their eyes. With the crutch standing straight up and the fishing pole and the golf club making a perfect X, the tangled look for all the world like the doctors symbol.

So see, there actually may be a use for all those seemingly useless items. Whether it be a money saving excuse or just to make somebody smile, just get yourself organized. I'm working on it!

No comments: