Saturday, September 4, 2010

Clam Cake Nirvana: Update

This clam cake research is harder than I thought. After about 6 samplings I realized that it's nearly impossible to declare one clam cake the best of all rest. Each clam cake recipe has is unique and has points all it's own. Evelyn's Nanaquaket Pond Drive Inwas given a second chance and I found it to be better the second time around. For $4 I got 4 cakes and a bowl of chowder. It was a thin chowder, the Rhode Island type. Not New England, the creamy type nor the sacrilegious red New York chowder. OK, some NY chowders are good but I like the other 2 types better.

Evelyn's $4 combo is great. I added a quahog and found it to be one of the best Quags I have ever had, really!
Flo's Drive In in nearby Portsmouth, RI  has clam cakes with a style all their own. More fluffy and less clams but still very good.
The Country Whip in Acushnet has a tasty clam cake too. I ordered a quahog there and was surprised to get it in a round plastic container like Chinese take out sauces come in. Not bad either.
The Cool Cone in Wareham, MA has a good recipe too along with their quahog, even though they weren't tops on the list they are worth a visit.
Gene's Seafood in Fairhaven has a style more like Flo's and are good if they haven't been sitting under the heat lamp.
The Seafood Hut in Acushnet is near the top and is the closest to home.
Down the Hatch's clam cakes are good but a bit pricey at double the average cost.
Hugo's in Freetown, MA was the top in the early stages of this sampling and I may have to go back and re-evaluate the cakes ;)
Well I think that's all my reviews. Sorry it isn't more detailed with prices and menu lists. But the point of this have proven that clam cakes are a great road food and most of the places I sampled were worth the drive, if not just for the scenery.  If you have a favorite place that I have missed give me a shout!

No comments: