Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chasing Rainbows

I  had one of those days yesterday. You know the kind. Everything just seemed to get worse as the day went on.
It started when I got up and found the cable and Internet was shut off. It's happened enough times that I know it's not the end of the world. Just the start to a boring day. Then the clothes dyer quit. It spins but doesn't heat. Believe it or not every sock of mine was in that wet load of clothes. And my bed sheet. The only one. I put the sheet and pillow case on a rocker to dry.

Then I noticed the cat was limping. I checked him out and found a couple of puncture wounds on his neck and leg. Animal bites are nasty with infection. He's on the last month of his 6 month quarantine from the last infection. And he had been confined before that, in January and on the last month he developed an infection. So technically he's been under quarantine all year. If I brought him to the vet there would be a $500 fine for breaking quarantine and possibly having to put him to sleep. Not because he's sick. Just because the law says so.
I knew I still had some amoxycillin drops left over from the last time. It's a cinch I thought, 10 days of drops, 3 times a day and he'll be tip top again. Unfortunately the drops, even though refrigerated turned discolored. If I had an Internet connection I could find out whether or not they were still usable.

Since I had nothing to entertain me I decided to watch a DVD and picked Avatar. I had already watched it about 3 months ago and wasn't impressed. The animation is fabulous, the backgrounds amazing but I had problems with the story. I enjoyed it more this time and probably will watch it again.

About that time I decided it was time to get some Seagram's. As I headed up Dogwood street I saw the sky was unusually angry looking and it was beginning to rain. Looking west there were those puffy white clouds I call anvils. They seem to rise and then spread out horizontally and flat on top. To me these signal a major weather event. Under the anvils there were horizontally streaked clouds with the sun reaching past them. It was like a spectacular sunset hours before the sun was ready to set. I was transfixed on this scene until I reached Hoppy's Landing and noticed a rainbow in the north.

I imagine the fact that the sky was so ominous to me had to do with the fact that I had spent the  last two hours watching a fantasy planet being destroyed by humongous Mechs and Scorpions.

Coming out of the dark clouds the bands of the rainbow seemed to point directly to a sunny spot in Mattapoisett between Brandt Island and Gellete road. It was spectacular. Looking east I found the other end of the rainbow coming out of the overhead clouds and reaching out to Falmouth.

The beautiful sun drenched rainbow's end in Mattapoisett seemed to call to me and I headed up the Neck for Route 6 east. It was a good decision because the sun streaming through the streaked clouds was so intense drivers going towards Fairhaven could barely see due to sun glare. I moseyed on down toward Ned's Light and kept the rainbow in my sights. The big rain clouds from Dogwood street were following me. A rain cloud over my head wherever I went seemed appropriate considering the day I was having.

For some reason I turned away from Ned's Light before I reached the last road there and headed towards Marion. Now both ends of the rainbow were visible and I saw the entire arc. I don't think I have ever seen such a perfect rainbow and I am certain I have never seen on that lasted so long.

Marion was very dark now that I brought my rain cloud into town and I was having trouble seeing with my smoked aviators on. I started thinking of having to euthanize my cat. I really couldn't conceive that and got a little choked up and to had to put it out of my mind.

I ambled down Converse road following the arc of light. I wondered if rainbows were the 'rays of light from the heavens' that so many ancient stories talk about that deliver a miracle to the Earth's people. The radio played Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. Next, I howled to Werewolves of London. When The Monster Mash came on I suddenly realized I haven't seen any Halloween decorations in Marion.  Every house and lawn looked perfect. Like in the Stepford Wives. Hmmm, would that make the wives in this town 'Marionettes'? I got a bit of a chuckle out of that and headed back to Route I-195 and by now the clouds over Bristol County had parted and switched into a normal sunset routine.

So what's the punchline. I really don't know. I got home, gave the cat the discolored amoxicillin and ate pumpkin donuts from Market Basket. I put the dried sheet on my bed and we both took a nap and waited for another day.

No comments: